Friday, July 16, 2010

I'm Camp Barnabas Bound!!!


Well I'm back from VCG's 2010 Mission's Trip to Camp Barnabas (CB). What an amazing experience not only for the campers with special needs but for our high school students who served as CIAs for the week at Camp Barnabas. Their job was to be a 1 on 1 counselor for a camper with a cognitive disability or autism. This was a very difficult job as often times their patience was stretched due to the high demands in serving these individuals. The students were on duty 24 hours a day with a one hour break each day in the afternoon. They ate, slept, and lived with the campers for 6 straight days.

As for me, I thought the experience was very interesting and actually pretty easy. I was not nearly as stretched as the youth group students. This was due to the fact that we had a higher functioning cabin and probably my background in special education. My job was a cabin mom, so I pretty much hung out with cabin G4 the whole day and helped where needed. I did laundry, cleaned up, prayed for the campers/CIAs/staff, and just encouraged everyone on a daily basis. (Barnabas' name does mean "encourager" by the way) People often confused me for a high schooler or college student which as times felt a little discouraging. But I was blessed to have an amazing cabin full of people who loved the Lord. I think I was blown away the most with the campers' ability to have such a childlike faith in the Lord. I think we can all learn a few things from them as they trust in the Lord to take care of their every need and desire.


As we walk away from this experience, I hope that our youth will remember the lessons they learned at CB and apply them to their lives each day. Each of our youth made such a personal connection with their campers if they realize it or not. I was amazed by the talents each of them possessed as they created such a loving and fun environment at camp for their camper. It's all about J.O.Y (Jesus, Others, Yourself in that order) as we are called to live out our faith each passing day. The students were so patient, compassionate, and encouraging this week with their camper that I hope they can find this qualities when dealing with their family, friends, and strangers.

I believe this experience has made my passion in life more clear...serving/teaching those with disabilities is what I love best. As talking with another adult volunteer from Wisconsin throughout the trip, we have come to the conclusion that we need to bring Camp Barnabas to Wisconsin! (I'd say IL but Wisconsin has better camping facilities) People in our neck of the woods should be able to experience the wonderful ministry CB provides. As a result, I am hoping the Lord will open doors for this ministry to expand. I would love the opportunity to be a part of starting a Jesus-focused camp for individuals with special needs!


Highs
-laughing our heads off at familytime
-deep conversations during familytime
-the macarena dance during meals
-observing campers worshiping the Lord in their own way (we may not be able to understand their words but the Lord knows exactly what they are saying)
-campers being first and getting what they wanted (always)


Lows
-big/loud bugs
-chiggers
-snake in the road
-high humidity

What I learned about myself this week....

- worshiping God through music takes away my anxieties
-be still and know that I am God. He is present in each moment no matter what!
-my heart continues to be serving individuals with disabilities, I may not be a teacher forever but I know I will always be involved helping those with special needs...who knows where that may be!

3 comments:

Miss T said...

Love it, Little "L"!!!

Becca said...

thanks for sharing this stuff Car - you are an amazing and inspiring person! God has created you to be such a special person with a HUGE and compassionate heart and I feel so honored to be your friend! Love you!

vicky1970 said...

I love that you are sharing about serving God and sharing what you learned about yourself in the process. That's what it's all about. I served a lot ( missions ) in college but now I teach full time and am raising my family...I miss it. God bless you.
Vicky
Traditions, Laughter and Happily Ever After